But, after getting a chance this weekend to see Twilight for themselves, did Twi-hards feel the same?
Over 300 Twi-hards responded on the Book Examiner site this weekend with their own take on the most anticipated bookish movie of the year (read their comments and reviews at Twilight movie reviews: Read what the fans are saying and Twilight movie review: What worked, what failed miserably, and how the book measures up to the movie). And let me just say, it's obvious already that the debate over this movie is going to rage on within the Twilight fan community for quite some time: the reaction seems to be equally split between people who thought the movie was fantastic and people who want to bash someone's head in for mutiliating the book.
The comments span from
I walked out of the midnight showing after 30 minutes. It was the worst 30 minutes of my life.
Let's call a spade a spade. It was awful. Just awful.
YOU PEOPLE WHO WRITE BAD STUFF ABOUT THIS MOVIE SHOULD HUMP A TREE!!
YOU WHALE HUMPING CHICKEN MOLESTERS NEED TO GO TO HELL!!!
I THOUGHT IT WAS A HELLA GOOD ASS MOVIE!!!!
AND STEPHENIE MEYER SAID THAT IT WAS EXACTLY HOW SHE IMAGINED IT!!!
I bet She Really Loves The Movie And By Saying You Hate The Movie Your Saying You Hate Her And All Of Her Books And Just How She Thinks!!!
I Know Know What You People Are On But You Need To Stop Your Selves NOW!!!
And If She Did Like IT She Would Tell Them
I Read The Book And I Watched The Movie And I Loved Them Both!!!!
No one seemed to be lukewarm about it -- they either passionately loved it or, as one fan put it, "felt like commiting suicide."
Whether they detested or adored it, however, all of the fans were profuse in their reasons for why they felt the way they did. Here are the top 10 things Twilight fans hated about the movie, followed by the top 10 things fans loved.
Top 10 things Twilight fans hated about the movie
1. No chemistry between Bella and Edward
2. Poor screenwriting (one fan wrote, "The movie lost the magic that is Twilight because the screenwriting is poor.")
3. Excruciatingly amateur special effects (especially the flying scenes which the majority of fans found embarrassingly awful)
4. The vampire makeup
5. The forest scenes between Bella and Edward -- there were at least two dozen people that said the audiences were bursting into laughter at the corniness during these scenes
6. Bella and Charlie eating out every meal at the cafe
7. Bella's character -- a number of fans pointed out that Bella looked frightened the entire time and delivered her lines (even with Edward) in a monotone
8. The first kiss scene -- those underpants caught a lot of flack
9. Jasper -- the way he looked, his lack of lines, etc.; fans thought he was all wrong
10. The addition of scenes not included in the book -- many Twi-hards didn't feel like the new scenes added anything at all to the story
Top 10 things Twilight fans loved about the movie
1. Charlie -- out of over 300 comments, there was nothing but praise for Charlie's performance.
2. The casting of the Cullens, especially Emmett and Alice
3. The baseball scene -- many fans said this scene was reproduced exactly how they imagined it
4. Edward saving Bella from the van
5. Edward saving Bella in Port Angeles
6. Mike, Jessica, and the other students at Forks High School
7. James and Victoria
8. The final fight scene
9. The prom
10. Edward and Bella in biology class (actually, this one was pretty close; only barely over 50% of the fans who specifically mentioned this scene liked it a lot; the rest thought it was horrible)
If you're a Twi-hard and have an opinion on the movie, let us know! Leave your own review in the Comments section below.
Oh, I think I'm the only lukewarm person. The list is mostly accurate, though I really liked the kissed and the new scenes. Really liked it. Also, getting second embarrassment from the hardcore SM-worship comment (the 3rd comment). BRB, humping a tree. Welcome to BD.2